Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ilaiyaraja - The Maestro


Finally i started a blog!

Ilayaraja - This man exceeds superlatives.What a gift it must be to be able to move others' souls?When I thought of having a blog a couple of days back, the first thing I thought about writing was his music. The peace of mind you get from hearing his songs is an incredible experience.Amazing Ilaiyaraja!

For a guy like me who has no knowledge of either classical music or western music, it is simply the music that needs to seduce me into hearing it , and ilayaraja does that superbly.

Here is my playlist - My all time favourite Top 25 songs of "Isai Gnani". Most of his songs are too good. But I have listed only 25 songs. Sorry if I've missed any good songs.

25. ei aatha aathoroma - payanangal mudivathillai
24. vellai pura ondru - pudhu kavithai
23. Poongatru puthiranathu - Moondram pirai
22. oru devathai pol oru penningu - gopura vasalilae
21. Palamuthir solai - Varusham 16
20. Then madurai vaigai nathi - Dharmathin Thalaivan
19. Germay in senthaen malarae - ullassa paravaigal
18. enna satham intha neram - punnagai mannan / Thoongatha Vizhigal Rendu - Agni natchtahram
17. Vaa Venilla - Mella Thiranthathu Kathavu
16. kaatu kullae manasu kullae - Thalapathy
15. Uravugal Oru Thodur Kadai - aval appadithan
14. pillai nila - neengal ketavai
13. Ilaiya Nila - Payanangal Mudivathillai
12. Mandram Vantha - Mouna Ragam
11. raja raja cholan - rettai vaal kuruvi
10. poovae sem poovae - solla thudikuthu manasu
9. mayil pola ponnu onnu - bharathi
8. anjali anjali ( slow and sad one) - Anjali
7. keladi kanmani - puthu puthu arthangal
6. ethetho ennam valarthaen - punnagai mannan
5. Thenpandi Cheemayilae - Nayagan
4. kannae kalaimanae - moondram pirai
3. amma endru - Mannan
2. janani janani - Thaai Mookambikai
1. yamunai aatrilae/ chinna thaai aval - thalapathi (both were simply mind blowing)

As far as I'm concerned music is something that will take you through every emotions. The best part about his songs is when you are alone, ilaiyaraja songs will take you through almost every emotions. You feel like flying,laughing and of course, crying at times ;) as most of his songs are very close to my heart.I couldn't find this in any of the songs of other music directors.
When you are alone, close your eyes, just chillax hearing some of his songs. Your mind will be refreshed.

11 comments:

Srihari said...

Way to go dude!!! Great one ... Most of my favorites were also listed .. But the my pick from the list is "poovae sem poovae" ...

Exactly!!! hearing the maestro at work is something special and he has redefined a new era of music in early '70s ...

So its indeed gimme great pleasure in listening to his songs :)

Unknown said...

Nice start :-)

Karthik said...

Thanks machi!
Yeah. "Poovae sem poovae" is one of my all time favourite too. But then ,those two songs from Thalapathi is simply awesome.

Karthikeyan K said...

Poovae sem poovae - me too.. :)

Karthik said...

I have missed two songs there.
1. Mannil Intha Kadhal - Keladi Kanmani
2. Entha Pennilum - Captain Magal

Sthiramathi aka Seizonsha said...

Super collection that one man!
Havent heard all of what you have listed out..
But if you get a chance, you must listen to some of his Instrumental albums as well..They fill your time and mind with peace..
My personal favourites are 2 albums..
"How to name it" and "Nothing but wind"...

Vijesh said...

nice start karthi! I go with your list. Awesome numbers from mastero.

damodarakkannan a said...

nice blog. ellame romba super songs da. mesmerizing Golden tunes da. 13th song "ilaya nila" padichathume hum pannanumnu thonuthu. human feelings ayum music ayum pinaikurathula, raja than raja.

Karthik said...

Yup. You are very tru Dhams. I have mentioned only a few of his numbers. Actually the list is endless :)

gyrus_talk said...

Listing Top 25 of the Maestro is a heart-rending task, friend! What to add, oh I missed that one, I missed this melody... These thoughts come to me every time I dare to make my favorite list. Not to forget His extra-ordinary background scores. And I give up!

I am lucky to be born in the Era of Isaignani. I wish I had been a Tamil guy to taste the poetic nectar too.

Thanks to the contributers @ youtube, His melodies in other languages are enthralling a wider audience.

Nice post, friend & welcome to blogger who also share the same passion for the Maestro.

Nature's Design said...

Just thought that I'd add my favs too(apart from those that are already listed in your list)

1) Yedho mogam (Kozhi koovudhu)
2) Ennullae ennullae (Valli)

Both the songs are a bit haunting(in a good way).Although the videos suck big time!

- Revs
(revsjoiedevivre.wordpress.com

PS: Could you please enable that option where we can comment using our Name/url please? If you dont mind,that is :)